August 12, 2011

The Unknown

I am a thinker. Maybe that comes as no surprise. I process things cognitively, I study, I reflect, I think things through. I like it this way. What can I say I like to know and understand what is going on around me. There are few things I care for less then surprises or discovering that what I thought I knew turned out to be wrong. I want to be right, and I want my world to be safe.



Of course the world is not safe, and I am not always right. Just because I think I understand what is going on, or that I have things all figure out is no guaranty that I do in fact have things all figured out. So what do you do when what you thought was up turns out to be down, or what you thought you could count on you discover you cannot?

That is a good question.

It is times like these it never hurts to be reminded of the fundamentals. That God is in control, that God is good, and that even if you don't know the plan God has one.

Elijah being feed by God 


I find myself reflecting on Elijah of late. When things in Israel were bad Elijah became God's go to guy. He delivered messages, preformed miracles he even had a massive 'God off BBQ' event. By all accounts Elijah was a complete success. But then the bottom fell out from underneath him. He was hurt, scared, and unsure of what to do next.

However God did not abandon him. God saw him through the pain, the uncertainty, and brought him to new stages of ministry. I believe that God still moves in this way. Bleakness is not endless. The only thing that is endless is God power and love.

What do you do when your whole world is turned upside down? You remember that God is the one who made the world and that he can turn it in any direction he wishes.